Engineering Design Services
Whether you are, developing a large tract of private land, adding to an existing road network or replacing aging infrastructure, Chartwell has a team of in house Professionals to meet your design needs. Chartwell’s team can provide a full range of Engineering Design services, Road Planning and Design, Professionally Engineered Structures, Inspection plus Construction Supervision and Environmental Monitoring. Chartwell has the knowledge and experience to tackle all of your design challenges, enabling you to focus on your core business.
Professional Engineering Services
Road planning and design is a critical phase of a successful operation. A poorly designed road will increase cycle times, consume drive trains and increase production costs. From the simplest to the most complex access road planning Chartwell can meet the challenge, with an experience in house team.
- Planning & Design begins with a consultation to ensure your needs and desires are fully understood.
- Before setting foot on site, a conceptual design using your road specifications and advanced designing tools like LiDar are used to project the access options.
- Additionally the Forest Professionals will research Province data bases for Heritage sites, Species at Risk, Geological instabilities and Utilities that may influent the road design.
- The conceptual design will then be ground truth in the field. Depending on the clients’ desire and the complexity of the design, options are discussed before the final survey is completed.
- The final survey is done using digital data collection systems reference to GPS.
- Construction cost estimates are provided based on the final survey.
Developing access throughout British Columbia usually requires an engineered structure. For example, under the BC Forest & Range Practices Act, culverts greater than 2.0 meters in diameter or bridges greater than 6 meters in length are required to have a site plan designed by Professional Engineers. Chartwell meets this challenge with an in-house team of Registered Professional Engineers. The team commonly prepares site plan designs for major culverts, multi-plate arches, bridges and retaining walls for a wide range of clients.
- Design begins with a consultation to discuss available options.
- Stream crossing sites are surveyed using Total Station survey equipment.
- The site plan design are prepared in house by Chartwell’s CAD and GIS technicians.
- From the site plan the Engineers forecast the stream flows that are likely to occur in a 200 year storm event. The geological characteristic are also noted and used to design the footings of the structure.
- Additionally the Engineers provide a detailed cost estimate and they can assist tendering process or the sourcing of fabricators or construction contractors.
Infrastructure used by the public or employees are all governed by Provincial Regulations requiring inspects of roads, culverts and bridges to ensure that they are safe to use. Chartwell’s in house staff of Professional Engineers and Technicians can provide thorough inspection to ensure the safety of your engineered structures.
Chartwell’s Engineers performed inspections on existing engineered structures throughout the Province. In addition to meeting the Regulatory requirements, the Clients receive an inspection that:
- Professionally Certifies the condition and capacity of the engineered structures;
- Identifies items needing maintenance or replacement;
- Detailed estimates of repair costs for budgeting.
Chartwell’s experience staff of Professional Engineers and Forest Professional have successfully built roads and installed engineered structures in virtually every corner of the Province. Chartwell can provide:
- Detailed construction cost estimates for budgeting.
- Prepare tender documents and review tender results.
- Assist with the administrative applications to attain regulatory approvals.
- Onsite construction supervision of your road or bridge construction projects.
- Onsite environmental monitoring.